[erlang-questions] clipping of max# of file descriptors by ertswhen kernel poll is enabled

Tony Finch dot@REDACTED
Wed Aug 27 17:15:45 CEST 2008

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Rickard Green S wrote:

> Matthew's answer is correct. If we need to fall back on select() on a
> filedescriptor that is larger than select() can handle, your
> modification wont work.

Note that on Mac OS X 10.4 and later, you can #define FD_SETSIZE to
whatever value you want at compile time. In fact, you can allocate fd
sets dynamically so long as they are big enough to hold the largest file
descriptor you are using. See the comment just above the definition of
FD_SETSIZE in /usr/include/sys/select.h.

This is also true for other BSDs.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@REDACTED>  http://dotat.at/
HEBRIDES BAILEY: WESTERLY OR SOUTHWESTERLY 5 OR 6, BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4 IN