[erlang-questions] Documentation Question

Rick Pettit rpettit@REDACTED
Tue Aug 26 21:00:02 CEST 2008

On Tue, August 26, 2008 1:24 pm, David Mercer wrote:
> When documentation says something like, "This chapter should be read in
> conjunction with app(4) and application(3)," what do the numbers in
> parentheses mean?

[snip]

They refer to man page sections.

For example, suppose you want the the man page for snmp:

  prompt> erl -man snmp

On my system this presents me with the man page for the "Interface
functions to the SNMP toolkit", found in section 3.

I could have also found this by doing:

  prompt> erl -man 3 snmp

Now let's suppose I don't want the man page on the SNMP toolkit API, but
rather the SNMP application itself--that can be found in section 6 of the
manual like so:

  prompt> erl -man 6 snmp

This is handled very much the way UNIX man pages are handled--broken down
into sections.

Hope that helps,

-Rick