[erlang-questions] Determining HiPE availability

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Tue Aug 26 10:26:53 CEST 2008

Tony Arcieri wrote:
> I'm compiling modules at runtime using smerl, and would like to
> automatically use HiPE if it's available.  I needed a way to
> programmatically determine if HiPE is available.  Someone pointed me at
> erlang:system_info(hipe_architecture) which returns 'undefined' if HiPE
> is unavailable.  However, this doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.
> Should it be?

I am also not sure whether this should be documented, but I think it is
pretty safe to assume that erlang:system_info(hipe_architecture) will,
for a long time to come, continue to return 'undefined' if HiPE is
unavailable.  In that sense, I think it is OK to use it.

But I would not recommend matching on the rest of the values that this
BIF returns.

Kostis