[erlang-questions] erl_ddll and dlclose

Edwin Fine erlang-questions_efine@REDACTED
Mon Aug 25 23:09:31 CEST 2008

I don't know if this is the case here, but I've run across poorly-behaved
software that declares 'C' exit handlers using atexit(), where the exit
handlers point to code in a shared library. Closing the shared library then
guarantees a crash when the process exits. It's probably safer to just leave
the library open. I know, not a perfect solution, but maybe it's the lesser
of two evils.. if this is why it is left open.

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Paul Guyot <pguyot@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just noticed that calling unload doesn't actually close the
> shared library (this is R12-B3, MacOS X, 10.4, PowerPC). Yet, in some
> situation, it might be desirable to make sure the shared library
> initializer will be called again.
>
> I can observe this behavior with both load/unload and load_driver/
> unload_driver. Is there a way to make sure dlclose is called?
>
> Paul

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C. Clarke