[erlang-questions] clipping of max# of file descriptors by ertswhen kernel poll is enabled

Rickard Green S rickard.s.green@REDACTED
Mon Aug 25 15:14:18 CEST 2008

Matthew's answer is correct. If we need to fall back on select() on a filedescriptor that is larger than select() can handle, your modification wont work.

BR,
Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB.

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED genom Joel Reymont
Skickat: lö 2008-08-23 10:32
Till: Matthew Dempsky
Kopia: Erlang Questions
Ämne: Re: [erlang-questions] clipping of max# of file descriptors by ertswhen kernel poll is enabled

Just to make sure I delivered my point across...

erl_poll.c will be compiled twice, once with ERTS_POLL_USE_KERNEL_POLL
and once without, even when kernel poll is present and the build
detects it.

ERTS should not be clipping max_fds when ERTS_POLL_USE_KERNEL_POLL is
defined, not in the "kernel poll" version of erl_poll.c.

To make sure there's no clipping when kernel poll is present and
detected, the code should look like this:

#if ERTS_POLL_USE_SELECT && defined(FD_SETSIZE) && !
ERTS_POLL_USE_KERNEL_POLL
    if (max_fds > FD_SETSIZE)
        max_fds = FD_SETSIZE;
#endif

I tested it by running erl +Ktrue and erl +Kfalse and it works. The
original version clips max_fds regardless of kernel poll.

	Thanks, Joel

--
wagerlabs.com