[erlang-questions] gen behaviors and global groups

Serge Aleynikov saleyn@REDACTED
Mon Aug 25 01:26:30 CEST 2008

Little bugfix in my previous posting below:

Serge Aleynikov wrote:
> Currently when using gen_* behaviors the way to reference a
> locally/globally registered server is by providing a server name in the
> form:
>
> 	ServerName = {local,Name} | {global,GlobalName}
>
> When the cluster of nodes is partitioned into global groups, there
> doesn't seem to be a way to instruct a server to do a global name lookup
> in a specific global group.  Unless I am missing something, it looks
> like the gen behaviors should allow this types of server names:
>
> 	ServerName = {local,Name} | {global,GlobalName} |
>                       {{group, Group}, GlobalName}
>
> Without this third option one would have to do something like this in
> order to call a server registered in group G:

my_function({{group, Group}, Name}, Args) ->
     case global_group:whereis_name(Group, Name) of
     Pid when is_pid(Pid) ->
         my_function(Pid, Args);
     undefined ->
	{error, noproc}
     end;
my_function(Name, Args) ->
     gen_server:call(Name, {my_function, Args}).