[erlang-questions] fprof unusable?

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Fri Aug 22 21:00:59 CEST 2008

I tried to profile my poker test harness the other day and failed
miserably.

I had to kill Erlang at the fprof:profile stage, after a couple of
days. The Erlang process itself was taking more than 12Gb of real
memory, I only have 14Gb and was being killed by swapping.

The files generated over two days were huge, e.g.

-rw-r--r--   1 joelr  joelr  64672716428 Aug  8 00:39 fprof.dump
-rwxr-xr-x   1 joelr  joelr  79763809507 Aug  6 14:11 fprof.trace

That's 64Gb and 79Gb respectively!

fprof uses ETS internally which is kept in physical memory and
virtually guarantees that my profiling session was doomed from the
start.

Any suggestions on how to proceed other than shortening the profiling
session?

	Thanks, Joel

--
wagerlabs.com