[erlang-questions] Possible bug after ets:insert exception

Paul Fisher pfisher@REDACTED
Tue Aug 19 15:41:33 CEST 2008

Colm Dougan wrote:
> I'm running 12B-3.  Below is a console session.  Everything worked as
> expected until "4>" where I unintentionally provided an atom in my
> insert and I get a bad arg.  Again that was expected.  What I didn't
> expect, however, was that from then on the ets table seemed to be in a
> bad state and couldn't be queried.  I realise this is an edge case.
> Is this a bug?

No, not a bug.  What is happening is the shell process which owned the
ets table died when the exception was generated and therefore the ets
table was cleaned up.  This is confusing since the shell appears to keep
going after printing out the exception messages, but in fact it is
another process.

--
paul