[erlang-questions] 64bit compiled beams not running on 32 bit machines

Anders Nygren anders.nygren@REDACTED
Fri Aug 15 22:45:35 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@REDACTED> wrote:
> Logan, Martin writes:
>  > In working on Erlware we have run into cases where apps containing only
>  > beam object code get published from 64 bit machines and are subsequently
>  > installed and run on 32 bit machines (the code is "generic" after all)
>  > and so the installer makes no distinction in cases of pure beam code.
>  > Well, as it turns out we have seen problems.
>
> What problems?

The problem that I remember was that hipe itself does not work on a 32 bit
system when it has been compiled on a 64 bit system.
I.e. I once got from Erlware a hipe that was compiled for 64 bits and I have 32
bit machine. When I tried to compile another module with +native the
compilation failed.

As far as I understand the hipe application is pure erlang, but there
is a .hrl file
in hipe that defines the sizes of various object, and these sizes depends on the
word size of the machine. I think it was lib/hipe/rtl/hipe_literals.hrl.

/Anders