[erlang-questions] 64bit compiled beams not running on 32 bit machines

Logan, Martin Martin.Logan@REDACTED
Fri Aug 15 18:41:50 CEST 2008

In working on Erlware we have run into cases where apps containing only
beam object code get published from 64 bit machines and are subsequently
installed and run on 32 bit machines (the code is "generic" after all)
and so the installer makes no distinction in cases of pure beam code.
Well, as it turns out we have seen problems.  Does any one know if this
is a general problem, is it always unsafe to run 64bit compiled beams on
32bit machines or is it only in special cases, as in code compiled as
"native"?  If there are special cases is there a way to detect when the
problem will arise by programmatically analyzing the beam files?

Cheers,

Martin