[erlang-questions] Reading a string from console without echo

Claes Wikstrom klacke@REDACTED
Fri Aug 15 15:47:16 CEST 2008

Corrado Santoro wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> do you know if it is possible to disable echo of characters when using
> io:read (or a similar routine) in reading from console?

Not possible, you'll have to do some trickery. Either some
trickery through a linked in driver. This is non trivial though
since the normal IO system must be persuaded to not read
those chars as well.

Another option is to use the slang contrib from
http://jungerl.sourceforge.net/

This has the same problem as a linked in driver though,
the normal IO system must be shut down during the read.
I don't know from top of my head how to do that easily.

/klacke