[erlang-questions] Deploying applications: proper ERL_LIB setting.

Brian Troutwine goofyheadedpunk@REDACTED
Fri Aug 15 02:59:13 CEST 2008

Hello all,

What is the proper way to set Erlang environment variables in order to
run applications? I would like to deploy an OTP structured application
but am currently stuck. For reference,\
  here's my filesystem layout, with "hatstand" being the application
in question:

/home/blt
|-- lib
|   `-- hatstand-1.0 -> /home/blt/src/lib/hatstand-1.0/
`-- src
    `-- hatstand-1.0
        |-- Makefile
        |-- ebin
        |   `-- hatstand_app.app
        |-- priv
        `-- src
            |-- Makefile
            |-- hatstand.erl
            |-- hatstand_app.erl
            `-- hatstand_sup.erl

In my bashrc I have "export ERL_LIB=/home/blt/lib/". Upon starting
erlang and issuing "application:start(hatstand_app)" I'm greated with
"{error,{"no such file or directory","hatst\
and_app.app"}}". In fact, I have no luck starting hatstand unless I
give "-pa /home/blt/lib/hatstand-1.0/ebin" as an argument to Erlang.

What do I set ERL_LIB to and how do I invoke erl so that
application:start(hatstand_app) will not fail?

Thanks,
Brian