[erlang-questions] Message Passing over the 'Net

Matthew Williamson dawsdesign@REDACTED
Wed Aug 13 16:54:33 CEST 2008

I believe the dime summary would be: it is not safe.

Distributed erlang should be used only in a LAN environment because it goes
over plaintext. The way around it is VPN, but that doesn't sound suitable
for your case.

Something close it would be to use gen_tcp and send messages to the client's
local client server. Logically, something like: send message to local broker
(gen_server using gen_tcp) that has established tcp connection with server
broker (gen_server using gen_tcp), local broker transmits serialized erlang
term over internet (can do encryption here), server broker receives message
and passes to gen_server which will process the request and use the server
broker to reply.

This is all indeed in Joe's book, with further detail.

If I recall correctly, Joe's book has an extended example concerning a chat