[erlang-questions] scalaris code posted

Kevin Scaldeferri kevin@REDACTED
Thu Aug 7 19:41:00 CEST 2008

On Aug 7, 2008, at 7:58 AM, john s wolter wrote:

> Oh, that sounds bad.  I'll look into hypertable, maybe I can see
> someone on a project using it.  Most customers always go with what
> they know, right or Wrong.

My anecdotal 2c:

I went to a couple talks on these projects at OSCON a couple weeks
ago.  As for Hadoop, the NYT had some great success using Hadoop and
EC2/S3 to do a bunch of image processing, and they plan to continue
using it.  Also Hadoop just pulled ahead on the TB sort challenge, so
at least for some tasks it's pretty fast. (BTW, having Hadoop jobs
that run continuously for days sounds odd to me.  The whole point is
to parallelize so you can do in hours or minutes what would have taken
days.)

Hypertable looks interesting but immature.  Nearly every question from
the audience was answered, "well, we're still working on that".

Hadoop and Hypertable are not competing projects.  They provide
distinct services.

>> Anyway, Hadoop basics are simple and one can come up with an Erlang
>> implementation easily.

Sure, about a million bloggers have written their own "MapReduce".
Just remember, the "map" and "reduce" bits are the trivial,
uninteresting part.  The hard bits are reliability, fault-tolerance,
cluster management, performance (i.e. having the right data in the
right place at the right time), etc

-kevin