[erlang-questions] eep-0012 (Extensions to comprehensions)

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo@REDACTED
Thu Aug 7 13:49:44 CEST 2008

Hello Richard,

> No, where you want the optional semicolon is the FIRST case.
(...)

Thanks for presenting your view on these issues.  I specially
appreciate the POV about the semicolon being an operator.  Having the
optional semicolon at the front seems to work equally well indeed.

> Concerning [1,2,] and {3,4,}, I am aware that C allows an extra
> comma in some kinds of list, and I've used that feature.
> There are at least three situations:
(...)

The situation I refer to is indeed swapping entries (copy & paste) and
introducing new elements at the end without having to touch the
previous line.

> you are hoping for.  Maybe enough other people agree with you
> that this change will happen.

Some of it may indeed be automated with a good editor, and some things
like unifying comprehensions are a bit trickier.

> In the mean time, there is no need for you to suffer.

I don't actually suffer too much.  Partly because I just get used to
it, and partly because things will improve over time one way or the
other.  In this specific case I'm just adding to the statistics so
that the stakeholders here have some data to work with.  I'm pretty
sure I'm not pointing out anything that they didn't already have in
the back of their minds.

Thanks for taking the time to bring these details up.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net