[erlang-questions] otp_win32_R12B-2.exe "Trojan horse Generic 10.MHB"

Tue Apr 22 12:06:38 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:19:48PM +0200, Raimo Niskanen wrote:
> We currently get reports about
> http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_win32_R12B-2.exe
> being infected with "Trojan horse Generic 10.MHB",
> the contained file Uninstall.exe.
>
> It is the antivirus programs AVG 7.5 and AVG 8 that
> Antivirus 8.1, so it is probably a false positive.
>
> We are trying to get a response from AVG Techologies.
>
> When you download, check the MD5 sum to be sure you
> got what you wanted. And if you want to be sure,
> wait and see if this is a real problem.

I have now got a confirmation from AVG
that it was a false positive:

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:44:02 +0200 (CEST) AVG Technical Support <support@REDACTED> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> thank you for your email.
>
> Unfortunately, the previous virus database might have detected the
> mentioned virus on some legitimate applications. We can confirm that
> it was a false alarm. We will release a new virus update that removes
> the false positive detection on this file soon. Please update your AVG
> and check your files again.
>
> If you need to restore deleted files from AVG Virus Vault you can do
> it this way:
> - Open AVG Virus Vault (Start -> Programs -> AVG 7.5 -> AVG Virus
> Vault).
> - Locate the file that was incorrectly removed.
> - Right click on it and choose the "Restore File(s)" option.
>
> We are sorry for the inconvenience.
>
>      Best regards,
>
>      David Rohlik
>      AVG Technical Support
>
> website: http://www.avg.com
> mailto: support@REDACTED

You do not have to take my word for it, just await
the new virus database...

This was not the first time. There was a short thread
about R12B-0 at dec 8, but an other false positive
and just one affected user.