[erlang-questions] RLang

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter@REDACTED
Wed Apr 16 15:30:21 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 05:16 -0700, Tim Fletcher wrote:

> >      2. Has/is someone already done/already doing such?  (I did a quick
> >         search on this on Google and hit a few projects, none of which
> >         seemed to be as complete as, say, jinterface at first blush.)
>
> Hot off the press:
>
> http://ola-bini.blogspot.com/2008/04/connecting-languages-or-polyglot.html

That's very interesting, but it's for Jruby -- a Ruby implemented in
Java.  So really it's a paper-thin ruby wrapper around JInterface.  (An
idea I already experimented with because I dreaded the thought of
replicating all of JInterface in Ruby. :D).

Unfortunately JRuby, while a very good platform, doesn't quite replace
Ruby proper.  Specifically all the C-based extension gems don't work
with JRuby (for obvious reasons).  A native Ruby implementation is still
necessary.

At this point I'm toying with either putting a wrapper around
erl_interface as a Ruby extension or hand-coding everything in Ruby.
The former has the advantage of being the quicker to hit "market" (so to
speak) but the disadvantage of not being portable to any other Ruby
implementation (JRuby, Rubinius, IronRuby, etc.).  The latter would be a
sizable job to write, but would work on any remotely-compatible Ruby
implementation.

Decisions, decisions.  :)

--
Michael T. Richter <ttmrichter@REDACTED> (GoogleTalk: