[erlang-questions] Open source licenses, which one to choose

Wed Apr 9 09:32:59 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 12:16:53AM +0200, Robert Virding wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I will soon be releasing the next version of LFE (Lisp Flavoured Erlang).
> With the last version I got some flak for my "license" and I am now
> wondering which license to use? GPL seems common among other Erlang
> projects, but how does this fit together with the normal Erlang license? The
> Freebsd license is short enough so even I can understand but is it valid. I
> have no interest in selling* LFE or prohibiting its use, I just want to make
> sure I receive credit for my work and that no one "steals" it in that
> respect. I nice courteous we are using would also be nice, good for the ego.
>
> What do people think?

If you are happy with attribution (credits), i think
the FreeBSD/OpenBSD... licenses are the normal to use.

In the *BSD camps the GPL is thought of as evil since it
many times prohibits (at least makes harder) (commercial) use.
Unfortunately it seems to be a religious thing.