[erlang-questions] Questions on gen_tcp & flexible parsing -2- (readable)

Bo kosmyq@REDACTED
Thu Apr 3 18:39:06 CEST 2008

*** 2nd submission, readable version ***
*** Please delete fist version ***

I have now been programming in Erlang for
quite a while and most things are really
easy to do, but I found some rather tough
issues, here the come:

1)  When using the example server from the
man pages of the gen_tcp / inet unit I have
tried to create an auto update routine,
which does a sort of
?MODULE:loop(<some parameters>),
but it seems that the sockets just won't let
go, stick to the running module and as
expected under the circunstances, after the
second update Erlang moves the sockets out
of the VM and ends the processes, so I cannot
create a socket server which permits to be
updated in runtime.

Just for info, under any other cicumstances
I have managed to create all my other modules
to be updatable and it works just fine,
except this simple socket server ??   Does
gen_tcp have problems to do the typical
?MODULE:loop(X) ??

2)  Erlang describes that one can limit the
size of the packet to be received by a socket,
if it's longer it gets marked invalid and I
would suppose that it gets dropped, the
parameter is called packet_size.   I would
like to limit the packets to be received to
be of X size, the example below shows 255,
yet I can successfully send large packets to
the socket, what's wrong ??   Note: Why do I
want this ??   I want to avoid problems where
hackers do a buffer overrun hack and crash the
server by sending many large packets which then
write to memory at some point or crash the
server because it exhausts memory, something
very common in Windows hacks.  inet states that
much depends on the underlying OS, which is
Windows in this case, but I do not know if
this parameter depends on the OS.

Example:
case gen_tcp:listen(LPort,[{active, false},
{packet_size, 255}, {packet,0},
{recbuf, 255},{sndbuf, 255}]) of
        {ok, ListenSock} ->
I have even used recbuf and sndbuf which do
not seem to do anything either.

3) Also, I am writing a small scripted client
to test the server part, now, when I am
bombarding the server with messages and ask
it to send these to the other processes I face
the following problem:   first of all and
thankfully, Erlang keeps up, the server
does not seem to crash, yet, when a client
finally crashes with a stack overflow
(problably a memory leak or too much data),
this particular acceptor on the server side
does not exit, although I have included code
to make sure that the exit gets trapped, yet
this process stays alive, instead of closing.
My question here is has anyone faced this
before ??   When a client exits normally no
problem ocurrs, only when it crashes.

4) I am building a command parser which needs
to parse in commands of the structure
{CMD:DETAIL}.   Each time the server receives
a packet it may receive several commands of
this structure, which is why I need to parse
a list of commands and the parsing code could
look like this:

parsecmd(T) ->
    parseusr(T, []).

parscmd("{USR:" ++ T, L) ->
    {Url, T1} = collect_cmd(T, reverse("")),
    parsecmd(T1, [Url|L]);

parsecmd([_|T], L) ->
    parsecmd(T, L);

parseusr([], L) ->
    L.

collect_cmd("}" ++ T, L) -> {reverse(L, ""), T};
collect_cmd([H|T], L)       -> collect_cmd(T, [H|L]);
collect_cmd([], _)          -> {[],[]}.

I would like to call parsecmd(<CMD>,<LIST TO PARSE>)
The problem is that I cannot pass
"{CMD:" as a parameter, like in the above
"{USR:", if I do Erlang complains that it
cannot process that structure, where
"{CMD:" is a list.   Is there any way this
can be parametrized ??   Or is there another
function ??   And no, I have not used YECC,
because I find its working incomprehensible.
I can already parse several commands when I
search separately for "{", "}" and ":" but
not for "{CMD:" and "}", where CMD is a
variable that I want to pass to the parsing
function.

Any help is appreciated, I have researched
different unit'mans, the whole Erlang Bible,
other examples but I cannot find a solution
to those 4 issues, so I am turning to the
ever so wise community.

Thanks in advance,

Bo