[erlang-questions] : My messages don't appear in the mailing-list

Thu Apr 3 11:17:05 CEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 08:37:17AM +0200, Jilani Khaldi wrote:
> Elliot Murphy wrote:
> > Are you using gmail?
> No. I am using a commercial e-mail server.
> However I am seeing them now. The problem is I sent yesterday the
> message about the subject "Calculate PI in Erlang faster than in Matlab"
> and I am seeing it only now, but I sent an other message after that and
> I saw it after few seconds.
> It doesn't happen with other mailing-lists. Perheaps the delay is due to
> the mail server anti-spam of "erlang-questions".

Yes. The server uses greytrapping as a spam defense. And for
large SMTP farms with few subscribers (to our maling lists)
it does not work that well automatically. Your mails arrive
from many different mail hosts, and since one particular
mail can be resent from a different host, the mail hosts
have a hard time getting whitelisted. And that is why
some mails get through instantaneouly and some not.
If there were many subscribers to erlang-questions from
your SMTP farm all hosts would become whitelisted with ease,
and the problem would disappear. It disappears now
too, but it takes time.

I have made all your SMTP farm hosts permanently approved.
Thank you for pointing this out.

Anyone else with the same problem let me know!