[erlang-questions] strings, json, and what happens now

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Tue Sep 25 13:54:43 CEST 2007

I think it very much depends on what you are going to do with the string. If
you are going to store for later then using a binary with some encoding
(UTF-8, UTF-16, ...) is probably the best. But if you are are going to
*work* with it then keeping it as a list of codepoints is much better, much
better in fact than keeping them in arrays like C++ type strings.

How to handle the metadata I don't know. If I remember correctly from a
previous discussion the metadata was not really standardised and could be a
bit messy.

Robert