[erlang-questions] Representation of a map in bytecode?

Jouni Rynö Jouni.Ryno@REDACTED
Mon Sep 17 13:32:03 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 12:33 +0200, Kenneth Lundin wrote:

> If the system design already allows thousands of parallell tasks it is
> far from obvious that also the internal execution of each such task
> should benefit from
> automatic parallellisation. I actually believe that a system can be
> over parallellized and that this will degrade the performance.

There used to be a beautiful processor architecture called Transputer
and the language called Occam to program it. Making things going
parallel was even more easier and natural than in Erlang.

And there were many papers published, that going from extreme parallel
systems to more serialised one was the way optimise the performance.
Extreme parallel meaning systems, where you have decades more processes
than real executing hardware. It all depends on the process switching
time and communication overhead.

regards
	Jouni
--

  Jouni Rynö                            mailto://Jouni.Ryno@fmi.fi/
                                        http://space.fmi.fi/~ryno/

  "It's just zeros and ones, it cannot be hard"