[erlang-questions] hrtime/0, Was: now/0 resolution

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Sep 12 22:36:59 CEST 2007

Raimo Niskanen wrote:

> New question:
>
> Serge apparently want a new BIF e.g hrtime/0 that would return
> the best high resolution time the implementation knows on the
> running OS. The precision would be OS dependant, but the best
> known to the emulator, and it would be the fastest way to get it.
> This BIF could also be suitable for getting high resolution
> CPU time as well as wallclock time.
>
> How much interest for such a BIF is there from the community?
>
> This would perhaps better be asked for in an EEP, but
> this is a first poll.

We are very interested, and should even have this as a
formal requirement somewhere (maybe it got lost along
the way...)

What I've asked for in the past is a time value that has
_at least_ millisecond precision, but I will gladly
settle for the best precision available. (:

BR,
Ulf W