[erlang-questions] RefactorErl released

Tamas Nagy lestat@REDACTED
Mon Sep 10 22:17:43 CEST 2007

On Sep 10, 2007, at 4:05 PM, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 9/10/07, lestat <lestat@REDACTED> wrote:
> Our research team has released RefactorErl (a refactoring system for
> Erlang) under EPL with seven working refactorings.
>
> Cool!
>
> I haven't had the time to check the code, but do the refactorings
> work across modules too? Of course, only modules loaded into the
> database could be affected.
Yes, it works across modules.

> Also, how can I work with several databases (for example if having
> several projects)?
I think that's a feature request, and a good one. :)

> I also second Kirill's question: why mysql and not mnesia?
When we designed the whole system we thought that we will use complex
queries, which are hard to express in mnesia qlc-s.
In the end this idea proved to be wrong. The truth is the mysql
connection right now is the bottleneck of the system.

The new version we are currently working on will use mnesia and the
structure of the system will be different.
It will be able to support - if all goes well - code with any kind of
macros even non parseable ones, and will be able to preserve the
original indentation of it.

Our current release is just the prototype of the system where we
tried our ideas out.
But we still thought that it is mature enough to release it and have
some people try it out to get some feedback.

A few members will be at the Erlang Workshop. The talk will be about
the tuple to record refactoring, but I'm sure they will be more than
happy to answer your questions about the whole system.

Best regards,
	Tamas Nagy