[erlang-questions] Tilera 64-core chip

G Bulmer gbulmer@REDACTED
Thu Sep 6 03:29:58 CEST 2007

On 6 Sep 2007, at 01:52, Kip Macy wrote:
>> I am surprised that  Ericsson got no response, but there are several
>> plausible explanations.
>>
>> I'll keep calling them until I get clarity.
>> GB
>
> It isn't uncommon for companies to "sell" something when they've only
> gotten 10 boards back from production.
Yup.
But that is different from suggesting something is vapour, which is
what I was reacting to.
A company may have only 10 boards, and be honest about this with
their real prospects, because it may be no problem to them (I worked
on software for automotive manufacturers, and we didn't get new
technology available *in quantity* much earlier than we needed it).

> Also, at least a few chip
> companies want you to pay them 100,000$ before they'll even start a
> conversation.
Absolutely agree, I have suffered that, but I feel that is their
prerogative.
It is received wisdom that spreading yourself too thin, or chasing
the wrong kind of business, can kill a company just as surely as a
bad product. Asking for $100,000 is a cheap, simple way of testing a
prospects commitment if you have the nerve, and can live with the
fallout. For better, or for worse, companies can operate any legal
way they like, and they must live with the consequences of their
actions. If a company keeps asking for $100,000 and no one pays, then
they usually die or change. If someone pays, then ...

I'll call Tilera until I feel I have clarity. I haven't got $100,000.
GB