[erlang-questions] Tilera 64-core chip

G Bulmer gbulmer@REDACTED
Thu Sep 6 01:49:18 CEST 2007

Ulf Wiger wrote:

> From: "Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB)" <ulf.wiger@REDACTED>
> Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Tilera 64-core chip
> To: Zac Brown <zac@REDACTED>
> Cc: erlang-questions@REDACTED
>
> Zac Brown wrote:
>> I suspect that they may not be responding because they don't have
>> answers for people and they know it. It seems to me they've come
>> out a
>> bit prematurely with this, more of a "build the excitement" press
>> release than a "we have an actual product and would like to sell
>> it to
>> you" press release.
>
> One could also imagine that the response to their press
> release has been overwhelming, and that they simply
> cannot find the time to respond, esp. to individuals.
Yup!

> Hopefully, this means that they are busy talking
> serious money with other people.  (:
That is exactly what I would hope and expect too.

> Of course, I have no intel whatsoever about Tilera,
> so your guess is as good as mine.
>
> It would be rather silly to advertise PCIexpress
> cards, if they hadn't actually produced some,
> though...
Agreed. Much easier to advertise the chip and see who calls.

I have no good evidence that they don't have product either, so I'm
*not* going to 'see a conspiracy' when the behaviour can be explained
by limited resources or incompetence. It's easy to forget that many
of these companies are very focused on 'crossing the chasm', and if
you don't fit their profile, you are classified as a dangerous,
future-threatening distraction. I was trying to sell stuff with only
two sales engineers to cover the world, and we wanted customers who
looked able to pay our salaries and bonuses for the quarter (at least).

I have been on the other side too. I've dealt with large technology
companies in the past who wouldn't respond (actually one told us to
go away until we could show them 'the money'). If they had done any
checking on our company, it would have been clear that we could drive
a huge, open, market sector to them. In all those cases, the product
existed, they either didn't understand who we were, or were chasing
other deals.

I am surprised that  Ericsson got no response, but there are several
plausible explanations.

I'll keep calling them until I get clarity.
GB