[erlang-questions] What is wrong with this list?

Peter K Chan peter@REDACTED
Tue Sep 4 22:29:37 CEST 2007

I think it would be nice if the compiler can output why a match fails
(e.g. {number, 1} does not equal {atom, java}).

When I first started learning Erlang, I was being killed by all sorts of
badmatch error, mostly because I forgot that variables need to have
capitalized names. Now that I am slightly more experienced, I am not
confused anymore, but I am very sympathetic to people just starting the
language. After all, to diagnose this error, you must be comfortable
with both pattern matching and the fact that variables have to be
Capitalized (a simple fact, but one that does not come to mind easily
when you are starting to learn a language).

Peter