[erlang-questions] Stand Alone Erlang or Equivalent

Benjamin Tolputt bjt@REDACTED
Tue Sep 4 06:24:44 CEST 2007

I was wondering if anyone has actually made progress/headway into the
"stand alone erlang" problem/feature?

I am currently using Erlang for a variety of minor, yet high-concurrency
tasks on our servers. I am currently looking into moving some of our
more complex/CPU-intensive tasks to Erlang as well. And for these tasks,
Erlang/CEAN/OTP distribution method is just fine (not my preferred, but
that is only a matter of taste).

However, I have been talking to a few busy individuals who (inspired by
Tim Sweeney's latest talk) are looking at high-concurrency
languages/executable frameworks for "client-side" game/simulation
execution. They asked me which one I would recommend, and I (of course)
mentioned Erlang. To which their immediate reply was "Yeah, it looks
good - but the deployment is to much of a hassle for general game players".

So I was wondering if I could impress them with some news on the Stand
Alone Erlang front. In a related question, how easy is it to retrieve
code/beams from non-file based sources (e.g. from an embedded native
code database or zip file)?

Thanks for any feedback you might have on this...
B.J.Tolputt