[erlang-questions] Erlang "jar" file?

Benjamin Tolputt bjt@REDACTED
Wed Oct 31 23:11:49 CET 2007

See comments embedded below...

Kenneth Lundin wrote:
> <snip>
> We tried code loading from zip files with focus on compatibility and
> improved speed for code loading (it is easier if you skip the
> compatibility or make the user to choose between ordinary code
> There was no speed improvement so we did not release it.
> But now we are considering adding support for code loading from
> archive files again, not for the sake of improved speed but for the
> reduced number of files you need to distribute.

This is the primary reason for "stand-alone Erlang" for me (though, as I
have mentioned, there are other aspects for persons I work with). The
idea of statically linking in the required libraries (like "beam.dll" on
the Win32 platform), and providing two files for deployment (archive of
beams & single executable) will make Erlang much easier to distribute &
deploy.

I realise the dream of a two file deployment is a long way off (if it is
even on the map!), but the idea is so good I can't let go of it!
> This will most probably show up in a R12B-x release next year.

So after the initial R12B release has settled down then?

--B.J.Tolputt