[erlang-questions] beginner: implement a cache/memoization

Maximillian Dornseif md@REDACTED
Wed Oct 31 08:02:16 CET 2007

I have a function which takes 1-5 sec to compute and will be called about 15
times a minute. Since many of the queries occure repeated I was thinking of
caching the last 1000 results (Each about 200 bytes).

The simpelest solution would be to create a ringbuffer. What would be the
appropriate datastructure? A Queue? This would mean that for every cace
check I would have to call lists:to_list/1.

An alternative would be a "Real" LRU cache. Is there an elegant
datastructure for that? Or do I have to go with an ets table an a cache
expiry process?

Regards

Maximillian