[erlang-questions] A more parallel widefinder

Bjorn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Tue Oct 30 18:50:57 CET 2007

"Anders Nygren" <anders.nygren@REDACTED> writes:

> On 10/30/07, Hynek Vychodil <vychodil.hynek@REDACTED> wrote:
> > Good work. It's very nice idea to find last new line in chunk and than
> > not concatenate binary with big prefix. But I still argue, that this
> > implementation is not so much like universal tool, but especial one
> > purpose tuned solution. I'm so busy to try rewrite it to more modular
> > implementation. But I will try it some time.
>
> Hynek
> I think the idea can have universal use, for the class of data where
> it is possible to start scanning at an arbitrary position and identify
> the start or end of a logical data unit.

I agree.

I think that this trick could be used to speed the crashdump viewer
(but probably not for R12B-0). A crash dump could be huge, and
even though the crashdump viewer doesn't read all information to memory
at once, it needs to read through the entire file once to index it
(to know, for instance, where information about each particular process
can be found in the crash dump file).

/Bjorn