[erlang-questions] is anyone else using erlang docbuilder?

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Fri Oct 26 13:11:19 CEST 2007

Hi,

I've been converting the FAQ source from 'docbook' to 'docbuilder' and
run into a few things with that "I must be missing something"
feeling. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Problem #1: code/shell snippets in the document

  With docbook, I could do this sort of thing for examples:

  <screen>
        1> self().
        <0.23.0>
        2> x - y.
        ** exited: {badarith,[{erl_eval,eval_op,3},
                      {erl_eval,exprs,4},
                      {shell,eval_loop,2}]} **
        3> self().
        <0.40.0>
  </screen>

  If I do the same in docbuilder, except with a <code> block, docbuilder
  chokes. Short of escaping every angle bracket, is there some way to
  do the above?

Problem #2: I can't put italic text in a title

  Or: why doesn't the <em> tag seem to be allowed in a title?

Bug report: empty code blocks make docbuilder crash

   Writing

      <code></code>

   gets me

   39> docb_transform:file("top").
   Processing "getting_started.xml"
   *** Error: XML export error:
   {{badmatch,[]},
    [{docb_xmerl_tree_cb,'#element#',5},
     {xmerl,apply_cb,5},
     {xmerl,tagdef,5},
     {xmerl,export_content,2},
     {xmerl,export_content,2},
     {xmerl,export_content,2},
     {xmerl,export_element,2},
     {xmerl,export_content,2}]}
   *** Error: Parse error when building chapter how_do_i

   This is bad for several reasons. (a) I don't see why an empty code
   block is bad. (b) The crash talks about two different filenames, only
   one of which is the right one. (c) the crash doesn't tell me what line
   it crashed on, making it hard to find the problem in the first place.

Matthias