[erlang-questions] "Erlang plus BDB: Disrupting the Conventional Web Wisdom"

YC yinso.chen@REDACTED
Sat Oct 13 00:55:16 CEST 2007

On 10/12/07, Yariv Sadan <yarivsadan@REDACTED> wrote:

> > We can use both Postgres and MySQL from Erlang. With ErlyDB, using
> > those DBMS's is just as Erlangy as Mnesia for most CRUD and SELECT
> > operations -- you don't have to write SQL by hand. Many big sites run
> > on MySQL (YouTube, Flickr, Facebook...), so it definitely scales.

Hi Yariv -

A few questions for ya :)

Is the postgresql driver on par with the mysql driver at this time?  Reading
from your blog it seems Postgresql is not yet there.

Would ErlyDB be the DBI/DBD equivalent of the Erlang world?  The nice thing
about open source is that everyone can do what they want, but having a de
facto package for something like this is probably essential.

> In Vimagi, I use MySQL for persistent data and Mnesia for live session
> > data. It works great, even on a RAM-constrained VPS.

Is the live session data a cached data or actually the session table? I
think Mnesia would be great as a cache server (e.g. memcached), but haven't
thought through it, and if you have done so, would love to hear your take.

Thanks,
yc