[erlang-questions] "Erlang plus BDB: Disrupting the Conventional Web Wisdom"

Chris Newcombe chris.newcombe@REDACTED
Fri Oct 12 17:31:32 CEST 2007

> BDB is certainly a fine DB, but don't forget it's really expensive
> unless you're whipping up a db backend for your local high school
> or some such.

You can use it for free if you:

  1. open-source your application

or

  2. you write a closed-source application but don't re-distribute it
      (i.e. this allows most classes of internal 'enterprise' use.)

      You must use the definition of 're-distribute' given on this page:

      http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/berkeley-db/htdocs/licensing.html

But yes, if you want to use it in closed-source application that you
don't re-distribute, then you probably have to buy a commercial
licence.

I've participated in negotiations for commercial licences for BDB at
two different companies, and in my experience/opinion they were very
flexible and willing to work to find a good deal.  (The final deals
were very, very different.)  That was before they were acquired by
Oracle, but I have no reason to believe that things have changed.

So if you have a use-case that might fall under the commercial
license, then I'd definitely recommend at least asking them about it.
I'd recommend sending any questions to:

	arlene.capsimalis@REDACTED

For the record, I don't work for Oracle, hold any Oracle stock, or
have any financial involvement with them.  I'm just a long-time user
of the product, and happen to think that Erlang and BDB make a great
combination.

Finally, there's absolutely nothing preventing you from downloading
BDB and EDTK and experimenting or prototyping with it...

Chris