[erlang-questions] "Erlang plus BDB: Disrupting the Conventional Web Wisdom"

Claes Wikstrom klacke@REDACTED
Fri Oct 12 14:01:38 CEST 2007

Nigel Head wrote:
> On 10/11/07, *Claes Wikstrom* <klacke@REDACTED

>     BDB is certainly a fine DB, but don't forget it's really expensive
>     unless you're whipping up a db backend for your local high school
>     or some such.
>

> Does anyone know how this could / should / has been interpreted in the
> case of that other slightly less prominent scripting language called
> erlang ??

Well that is hardly the issue here, the issue is weather I can use
BDB for commercial use. Sure I can if I pay - a lot.

And the "a lot" is also so much so they don't even dare quote the
number on the website. There is nothing wrong with commercial software,
hell I do that for a living. It's just that the problem we as Erlangers have
here isn't that we lack an open source DB, we have one which is just fine.
The problem we have, is that Mnesia ain't that good at storing large
amounts of data - due to dets.

An alternative for Mnesia to BDB, could possibly be gdbm as a storage
backend. We lack a good storage, not a good transaction manager. IMHO.

/klacke