[erlang-questions] "Erlang plus BDB: Disrupting the Conventional Web Wisdom"

Francesco Cesarini francesco@REDACTED
Thu Oct 11 20:35:54 CEST 2007

> For that matter, what about mnesia? It seems pretty self-serving for her to say
> "The only thing missing from Erlang is large-scale persistent storage". Mnesia
> scales well and is used in high-demand production environments, right?

Yes, but Mnesia has its limits. The paper pointed out by Tee
(http://erlang-consulting.com/thesis/dbms_eval.html) was researched when
we had to track about 200 million chickens a year (please do not laugh,
I am serious :-) ) undergoing about 5 or 6 state/ownership transitions.
That is where postgres, BDB and other hardcore databases come into the
picture. Mnesia is excellent for caching and storing live data, but not
for archiving or large quantities of rarely used data.

Regards,
Francesco
--
http://www.erlang-consulting.com