[erlang-questions] Attracting Functional Programmers

Vat Raghavan machinshin2002@REDACTED
Mon Oct 8 05:49:02 CEST 2007

that's not wholly accurate. a very good friend of mine runs a currently small VPS that offers erlang

http://www.guaranteedvps.com/

they offer very good service and competitive prices.

(wasn't trying to spam or advertise; but hey it came up :) )

--vat

----- Original Message ----
From: G Bulmer <gbulmer@REDACTED>
To: Dale Harvey <harveyd@REDACTED>
Cc: Erlang-Questions (E-mail) <erlang-questions@REDACTED>
Sent: Sunday, October 7, 2007 12:36:23 PM
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Attracting Functional Programmers

On 7 Oct 2007, at 17:37, Dale Harvey wrote:

> In terms of attracting programmers, it seems like my main reason,
> if noticing the traction that erlang has been gaining recently, to
> not decided to give erlang a shot is the fact that I would have to
> own my own server in order to develop anything public in it.
>
> Personally I have tested quite a few web based languages, all of
> which were little experiments which I could 'deploy' on my shared
> hosting. If it werent for other circumstances I almost certainly
> wouldnt have tested erlang.

I'm not sure I understand your point.
Are you saying Erlang/OTP will become much more useful to people like
you when it is made available as a "shrink wrapped" platform by
hosting companies?
If that's your point, I agree.

AFAIK, the only company offering (or planing to offer) hosted Erlang
was joyent, and Joyant were expensive compared to the majority of
hosting companies.
As a comparison, Railsplayground.com offers Ruby on Rails hosting
starting at $5/month. You just upload your app., and go.

The cheapest way for a company to offer Erlang hosting would be
within virtual private servers (VPS), e.g. Linux Virtual Machines
running Erlang Nodes. I've googled around and can't find anyone doing
that. Of course, you could build the virtual private server yourself,
but that seems like significant effort which a hosting company could
just 'solve' for people.
Is there a pre-built VPS image to take out all of the pain?

A nice solution would be to have a "pre-configured, templated image"
of an Erlang environment and Erlang/OTP at Amazon Elastic Compute
Cloud (Amazon EC2) http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=201590011
Amazon's computing cloud supports starting up and closing down upnew
servers on-demand, you only pay for what you use. This would be very
handy if your throughput requirements are very peaky.

GB