[erlang-questions] profiling application

jm jeffm@REDACTED
Fri Mar 16 07:55:42 CET 2007

Bengt Kleberg wrote:
> On 2007-03-16 03:53, jm wrote:
>> Can someone please point me to a tutorial on profiling applications in
>> erlang.
>
> look at the tools section of the manual.
> http://www.erlang.se/doc/doc-5.5/lib/tools-2.5/doc/html/index.html
> what you want is fprof.

I looked in the tools section of the manual and was left scratching my
head. I even found fprof and dug up an example, but when I followed the
example I only got numbers for some functions and didn't see any entries
for the ones I know are where most of the functionality resides. It may
have something to do with the processes being started through
application:start/1 though.

>> 1) How do I determine where the CPU and memory are going, ie where are
>> the bottle necks?
>
> the same section as above also has
> instrument
>
> another helpful module would be in observer
> http://www.erlang.se/doc/doc-5.5/lib/observer-0.9.7/doc/html/index.html
> and it is called etop.

Ah, this rings a bell I think I may have seen this mentioned before.
I'll take a look at this now.

Jeff.