[erlang-questions] Prompting before closing shell

Anders Ramsell anders@REDACTED
Wed Mar 7 23:21:22 CET 2007

Surindar Sivanesan wrote:
 > Hi,
 > Thanks for your suggestion.
 > Our server application need some initial settings to be done
 > after windows is booted. So, we cannot start erlang node as
 > service as far as our application is concerned.

Yes you can. And, as suggested, you really should.
Here's one way of doing it that would preserve your requirements
for manual initial settings:

1. Install a service using erlsrv but don't set it to run any
    code at start-up.
2. Place a werl short-cut on the desktop with access to a
    user_default module with custom initialize and startup
    commands. Internally these commands run code in the service
    node using e.g. the rpc module.
3. Use the "maintenance shell" whenever you need to start,
    configure, etc. your server.
4. Close "maintenance shell" when you are done.
5. Server keeps running in it's service.

With well written and documented user_default commands the person
using the "maintenance shell" doesn't even need to know any
Erlang.

We do something similar in our environment but we do start up the
system on boot time.

/Anders Ramsell