[erlang-questions] Programming Erlang on Pragmatic Bookshelf

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02@REDACTED
Sun Mar 4 11:24:11 CET 2007

On 3/3/07, Brian Olsen <brian@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I suppose I am in the position as everyone else is here: I bought the
> book right away once I saw this email.
>
> I am still on Chapter 1, and even though I know what I am reading
> already, I really like the very sort of minimal voice when describing
> the language. I really look forward on the chapters about OTP, in
> interest to get an even better understanding of it.
>
> I think that even though this has already been mentioned on the site's
> errata page from someone, I think a short introduction to the why's of
> Erlang would be nice. I mean, if someone is picking up the book, they
> already know Erlang, but it seems nice anyway.

As soon as I read about this yesterday, I went ahead and purchased the
pdf. I do not know Erlang (in the sense of being in stage 2 or 3 as
described in the first pages of the book) but I know about Erlang.
It'd be definitely a good idea to have a why and how of Erlang, and
even why anyone should consider Erlang in contrast to some other
alternatives (Oz, Alice, Scala, etc).

In addition, the chapter that deals with interfacing with other
programs seems a bit too short. Maybe a longer, and explicitly names
something along FFI would be a good idea?

Anyway, the book looks fantastic!

R.