[erlang-questions] Supervisor does not restart Gen Server

Gunilla Arendt gunilla@REDACTED
Thu Mar 1 16:35:04 CET 2007

Hi,

This is a really tricky one!

My guess is that you start the supervisor from the Erlang shell, right?
Since supervisor only has the start_link alternative, you'll get a link
between the shell process and the supervisor.

Then you call zuzu:do(0), which I would guess calls gen_server:call/2.
The gen_server receives the request, does a division by zero and
subsequently terminates.

The supervisor notices the gen_server has terminated and restarts it.

Unfortunately, since the original gen_server process terminated,
the call to zuzu:do(0) failed. Which means that the shell process
terminates.

And the shell process was linked to the supervisor, which means that
now also the supervisor terminates.

Solution? Calling "catch zuzu:do(0)" should do the trick.

Regards,
Gunilla, Erlang/OTP team