[erlang-questions] ei_send multithreaded problem

Eduardo Figoli (INS) eduardo@REDACTED
Thu Mar 1 14:18:09 CET 2007

Try

>  EnterCriticalSection(&CriticalSection);

> erlang_pid *channel_connection_pid = (erlang_pid *)dwUser;
>  ei_x_buff xbuf;
>  ei_x_new_with_version(&xbuf);
>  ei_x_encode_tuple_header(&xbuf,2);
>  ei_x_encode_atom(&xbuf,"data");
>  ei_x_encode_binary(&xbuf, pBuffer, dwBufSize);
>  ei_send(acceptedFd, channel_connection_pid, xbuf.buff,xbuf.index);
>  ei_x_free(&xbuf);
>  LeaveCriticalSection(&CriticalSection);

Regards Eduardo

  _____

I add a critical section before and after ei_send,now the code look like
this:

> erlang_pid *channel_connection_pid = (erlang_pid *)dwUser;
>  ei_x_buff xbuf;
>  ei_x_new_with_version(&xbuf);
>  ei_x_encode_tuple_header(&xbuf,2);
>  ei_x_encode_atom(&xbuf,"data");
>  ei_x_encode_binary(&xbuf, pBuffer, dwBufSize);
>  EnterCriticalSection(&CriticalSection);
>  ei_send(acceptedFd, channel_connection_pid, xbuf.buff,xbuf.index);
>  LeaveCriticalSection(&CriticalSection);
>  ei_x_free(&xbuf);

now the mormal running time is longer, but Erlang side still got "ERROR
REPORT= Got invalid data on distribution channel, offending packet is:"
error eventually.

I  skip first 112 of the error message<<112,131,104,3,97...>>, and use
binary_to_term,get term like:

{2,'',<4761.49.0>}

I search the maillisting again, and only get one post about this:

http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2004-October/013383.html

It looks like this problem is solved by using mutex
http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2004-October/013385.html

But I still have this problem.

Any help is appreciable!

BR

James

2007/2/27, lang er <erlangist@REDACTED>:

> But in the erl_interface document, it said:
>

> > If you are using Erl Interface functions in a threaded application based
on POSIX threads or Solaris
> > threads, then Erl Interface needs access to some of the synchronization
facilities in your threads
> > package, and you will need to specify additional compiler flags in order
to indicate which of the
> > packages you are using. Define REENTRANT and either STHREADS or
PTHREADS. The default is to use
> > POSIX threads if REENTRANT is specified.
> > Note that both single threaded and default versions of the Erl interface
and Ei libraries are provided.
> > (The single threaded versions are named liberl interface st and libei
st). Whether the default
> > versions of the libraries have support for threads or not is determined
by if the platform in question has

erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED ] En nombre de lang er
> > Enviado el: Lunes, 26 de Febrero de 2007 01:05 p.m.
> > Para: erlang-questions@REDACTED
> > Asunto: [erlang-questions] ei_send multithreaded problem
> >

> > I'm writing a c node using ei layer. This program is running under
Window 2003 enterprise edition sp1, and otp_win32_R11B-3. The following is a
fragment of my code:

> >  erlang_pid *pid = (erlang_pid *)pUser;
> >  ei_x_buff xbuf;
> >  ei_x_new_with_version(&xbuf);
> >  ei_x_encode_tuple_header(&xbuf,2);
> >  ei_x_encode_atom(&xbuf,"data");
> >  ei_x_encode_binary(&xbuf, buffer, bufSize);
> >  ei_send(acceptedFd, pid, xbuf.buff,xbuf.index);
> >  ei_x_free(&xbuf);

> > It is called inside a C callback function and may be called by many
concurrent threads. pUser include a erlang_pid (correspond to a process in
Erlang side).When some data come from network, a third party library will
invoke this callback function, so ei_send pass these data to a corresponding
Erlang process.(This process is an Erlang equivalent to a 3rd library
thread. So if I start one process in Erlang side, the 3rd library will use
one thread. If I start more than one process in Erlang , the 3rd library
will use same number of threads.)

> > Then, If I start one process in Erlang side, everything is OK. But If I
start more than one process, the C node program will crash after some random
time. If I comment  out ei_send line in above code fragment, everything is
OK again.