[erlang-questions] Amazon S3: Now with locking, transactions and caching

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Fri Jul 20 12:16:16 CEST 2007

On Jul 20, 2007, at 2:41 AM, Christopher Baus wrote:

> So all writes are written directly to S3?

Correct.

> Are you putting each write into a separate object?

Not sure what you mean. Each object is identified by a combination of
bucket and key, just like in S3.

> It seems to me that the limiting factor is the transactional costs
> per write.

There will always be a cost per write. You could minimize it by
syncing the cache with S3 periodically but ... why bother? You are
saving the cost per read for sure, at least for cached items.

> I thought not being able to do record appends was a real deal
> killer for
> more structured data stores, but it sounds like you've figured out
> some
> way around this.

Not really. Read, append, put back. I don't see a problem.

	Joel

--
http://topdog.cc      - EasyLanguage to C# compiler
http://wagerlabs.com  - Blog