[erlang-questions] The meaning of OTP...

Håkan Stenholm hokan.stenholm@REDACTED
Fri Jul 20 00:07:58 CEST 2007

Eric Merritt wrote:
> Regardless of what is decided on the name, Trap Exit shouldn't go off
> in it's own tangent.

That indeed is rather stupid, never mind that not even the Trapexit site can get
it right (hint - the FAQ still says OTP = Open Telecom Platform).

I agree that the current name is kind of bland and somewhat misleading but please
choose a name that at least makes some kind of sense:

* "Open Telecom Platform" - to narrow but at least historically accurate
* "Open Transaction Platform" - is just plain confusing, is OTP some kind of database ?

I rather like these:

* "OTP is not a Telecom Platform" - recursive rewrite in the spirit of GNU
* "OTP Technical Platform" - recursive definition for a recursive language
* "Omnipotence Through Parallelism" - just plain silly :)

Other choices may be:

* "Open Technical Platform" - if you want to stick to the acronym
* Erlang/OTP = Erlang develOpmenT Platform - creative acronym