[erlang-questions] How to interpret this error message?

Anthony Kong KONGA@REDACTED
Wed Jul 18 08:17:33 CEST 2007

Hi, all,

I read from the mailing list a few days ago about using
mnesia:dirty_update_counter() to generate key. I want to use this
feature as well, so I have come up with this little test script:

====

-module(db_seq).

-record(counter, {tab, key, value}).

-export([init_mnesia_db/0, get_next_seq/1, test/0, setup/0]).

-define(SERVER, ?MODULE).

get_next_seq(Key) ->
  mnesia:dirty_update_counter(counter, Key, 1).

setup() ->
    mnesia:create_schema([node()]),
    mnesia:start(),
    mnesia:create_table(counter, [{disc_copies, [node()]},
                                  {type, ordered_set},
                                  {attributes, record_info(fields,
counter)}]),
    mnesia:stop().

test() ->
    mnesia:start(),
    mnesia:wait_for_tables([counter], 20000),
    mnesia:dirty_update_counter(counter, a, 1).

====

I fired up erl with this command line "erl -mnesia dir local". Then I
executed db_seq:setup() in order to create the schema and table.

Then I run db_seq:test() in order to obtain an integer value, which
failed with this message:

6> db_seq:test().
** exited: {aborted,{combine_error,counter,update_counter}} **
So, what is a "combine_error"? What is the best way to find out the
meaning of these error messages (apart from asking the question in
mailing list)? Is reading the source code the only way? (Don't get me
wrong, I do not mind reading them, but really would like to learn how
you guys decipher this kind of error message normally during
development...)

Cheers, Anthony

*****   IMPORTANT INFORMATION    *****
This document should be read only by those persons to whom it is
addressed and its content is not intended for use by any other
persons.  If you have received this message in error, please notify
us immediately.  Please also destroy and delete the message from
your computer.  Any unauthorised form of reproduction of this message
is strictly prohibited.

St.George Bank Limited AFSL 240997, Advance Asset Management Limited
AFSL 240902,  St.George Life Limited AFSL 240900, ASGARD Capital Management Limited
AFSL 240695 and Securitor Financial Group Limited AFSL 240687 is not liable for
the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in
this communication, nor for any delay in its receipt.