[erlang-questions] Priority Queue

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Sat Jul 7 22:21:19 CEST 2007

What the sender can do is label the message, and
a priority flag can be part of the labling. Even
in a controlled environment like the AXD 301
(recall that the messages handled by the AXD 301
come from the outside, which is not necessarily
a controlled environment), messages are scanned
and categorized as early as possible - then
submitted to load control, where they are queued
according to priority. The rule is that rejectable
jobs are given lower priority than non-rejectable
jobs (e.g. a request to terminate a call is non-
rejectable), and messages that are related to work
we've already committed to have higher priority
than requests to start new jobs.

The case where the sender gets to flag priority is
really emergency calls (112, 911, etc.), and then
you can actually be fined for abusing the priority.

This is essentially Jay's routing model. Once
messages are classified and jobs prioritized, we
rely on Erlang's built-in message-passing semantics.
It's a very simple and efficient model. The trick is
to protect the system from being swamped by external
stimuli.

BR,
Ulf W