[erlang-questions] Priority Queue

Eranga Udesh casper2000a@REDACTED
Sat Jul 7 20:30:40 CEST 2007

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

However using a router process, I still don't see the priority queue problem
resolved, other than using a selective receive. Let's say there's a router
process, when received a message for processing, finds a free worker and
pass the message for it to process. The worker sends a control message to
the router when the processing finishes. Still that message comes to
routers' message queue and to extract it by giving it priority, the router
has to does a selective receive.

Taking your answering machine example, you know your message is important
and you are expecting Bill Gates to give priority for your message over the
other. Let's say Steve Jobs, Larry Ellison and you, all left messages in
Bill Gates answering machine, while he's out in Charity work. When Gates
returns and plays his answering machine, unless he listens to all 3
messages, he has no way of knowing what is important to him. So it requires
a mechanism for the message leaver to flag important messages (eg. key
press). To retrieve the urgent messages first, the answering machine needs
to have,
1. Have a second button to listen to urgent messages
2. Place the urgent message as the 1st message in listening queue
3. Gates will sound names or numbers of people or keywords in descending
priority order or program answering machine with that order (ignores the
priority flag by the message leaver)

(3) above is very much impractical.

It's like "Importance" flag in Email. It's up to the sender to mark the
message as important, but it's always receivers' who will accept it's as
important or not (for actioning). Therefore,
1. Sender should be able to say a message is important or not.
2. Sender flags the message is important or not.
3. Receiver gets the important message before non-important messages in the
queue.

BRgds,
- Eranga