[erlang-questions] : : Can't set long node name on windows

Dmitrii 'Mamut' Dimandt dmitriid@REDACTED
Thu Jul 5 09:12:21 CEST 2007

Raimo Niskanen wrote:
> I rather ment if the full computer name is foo.dom.main.com
> the hostname would be foo and the domain dom.main.com.
>
> If the full computer name is turkeyhotels, try use
> node name bilbo@REDACTED
>
> If the domain is DHGROUP, is that not the workgroup name?
> DHGROUP is not a complete DNS domain. It appears your machine
> is not configured for a DNS environment, and that is bad
> for Erlang/OTP.
>
> But try bilbo@REDACTED

Tried it. Doesn't work :(
When I run "erl -name some_name" on Linux machine I get this:

    some_name@REDACTED>1>

where DHGROUP is our workgroup. I then run "erl -name
another_name@REDACTED" on my Windows box and try to call it from Linux:

    rpc:call(yo@REDACTED,kvs,store, [weather, fine]).

    =ERROR REPORT==== 5-Jul-2007::10:08:13 ===
    ** System running to use fully qualified hostnames **
    ** Hostname turkeyhotels is illegal **
    {badrpc,nodedown}

:(

> It appears your machine
> is not configured for a DNS environment, and that is bad
> for Erlang/OTP.

Hmmm... Whatever shall I do? I was hoping I could develop a distributed
system and just run it on a network... No it looks like I need a way to
quickly and painlessly configure a system (any system) to work with
Erlang/OTP...