[erlang-questions] lists:reverse/1 as a built-in function

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Thu Jan 18 23:27:06 CET 2007

I agree with 1 & 3 but I am a bit dubious about 2. It means you have
added an extra default level for system functions and it is not really
consistent. Although it would probably not break much code.

I personally wonder if you are going to change how BIFs are handled and
go the whole hog and make it completely consistent with normal
functions: either they are local or imported. That's it. At least you
always KNOW what it means. Although it would break code. :-)

Actually Jonas Barklund and I had a very reasonable solution:

1. ALL functions without module are either local or imported.
2. All BIFs are pre-imported automatically for you
3. There is an unimport declaration. (works for all imports)

So if you wanted use BIFs as local functions then you would unimport
them from 'erlang'. Very consistent and explicit about what is going on,
and backwards compatible.

We also had another idea which I really liked: split the predefined
module 'erlang' into a number of predefined modules like process, atom,
number, .... And some left in erlang. These modules would be like todays
erlang in that they would be part of the language and specially treated.
I hink the result would be easier to handle that the wopping great
erlang of today. Alas some worried about backwards incompatibility if
people had there own modules with the same names.

Robert