[erlang-questions] Fwd: String encoding and character set

Romain Lenglet rlenglet@REDACTED
Wed Jan 17 02:36:45 CET 2007

As Robert explained, the current convention for representing strings in
Erlang is a flat list of Unicode code-points as integers. Every element
in such a list is a character, represented by its Unicode code-point
integer value. The 11th character of a string is the 11th element in the
list. If you want to encode such a string, you are free to do so, and
that is relatively easy. But the current convention is to represent
strings *unencoded*, as such lists of Unicode code points.

One drawback with this convention is that the standard external
representation is inefficient (e.g. when you send a term in an Erlang
message) for strings containing characters which code-point is > 255.

Please read the long discussion that we had last summer:
http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2006-June/021168.html
http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2006-June/021214.html
http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2006-June/021215.html
etc. etc.